Recycled Robots Refuse To Resort To Type









All robot in this picture is awesome. In fact, they all get bonus points for being made out of typewriters. But this, of course, means I'm going to have to hide my own typewriter from souls looking to transform it into TypeBot.

They started working with typewriters in 1994 while living in a small town in Iowa. They’ve always been intensely interesting to me (when they was about ten years old I wanted to take apart my mother’s 1920’s Underwood), so it was natural that, having a typewriter and some free time, they would want to dissect one. They think of the typewriter as a product of nature- it was designed by minds immersed in nature around them, and mimicked the curves, geometry, and physical processes abounding in nature. Though it is cold metal created by human hands, the typewriter is just as much a natural material as stone or wood. I concentrate on bringing this fascination with the raw material and interest in science and science fiction together in the subtleties of the human form.



Previous
Next Post »